Alex Fuller's Mission to Japan

Alex at MTC From June 2006 to June 2008, Alex is serving
a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in the Japan Tokyo
South and Japan Nagoya Missions.
(click pic to enlarge)

Monday, June 02, 2008

Toys 'R' Us

Well, Elder Smith and I went on an adventure today. We travelled the lands to reach the wonderful land of Toys 'R' Us. It was a daring journey, and casualties were had (I forgot the umbrella at a recycle shop we stopped at). However, we pressed on, and at the point in which hope was almost lost, we viewed the giraffe`s head in the distance.

Yeah, so we actually travelled to the area below us today and walked to some stores. We were pretty excited - but after about three minutes of looking around, we both kind of looked at each other and said, "well, it`s kind of cool, just all really expensive...and all really not that different than America." Well, actually it`s different, but not in a good way. Instead of power ranger toys, they have ultra-man toys - which are even sillier. ANd instead of a song being played about barbie, it`s a japanese song about baabi - how you pronounce it in japanese. Notwithstanding the let down - I was determined to buy something, for we had travelled far. And then...I discovered it...

Swords!! Foam swords made from the same materials as the noodles that you use in the pool. Three dollars and you have a instrument to beat your companion with leaving low to mild damage. Elder SMith refused to buy one on principal that they are just silly and that as twenty-year-old we should not play with such things. So I bought two.

We left the store and after about ten minutes he said to me, "okay, I`ll pay you for one"
Ha, I got him.

Actually that was the plan all along, his birthday is this thursday, so I had to get him a good present, and what`s better than a sword in which to defend yourself from my sword. I hope you agree with me.

I also got a robotic bug thing. It`s pretty amazing - it has antennas on it so that when it walks into a wall, it turns around. Also, if you clap your hands, it changes directions or whatever. I mean, you could have actual cochroaches in your apartment, or you could drop some money and buy mechanical cochroaches. Except mine is green. Maybe I should hav just bought some green spraypaint.

And my final purchase, a Disney Cars movie coloring book. It`s pretty amazing - and pretty in Japanese.

So I have a serious problem IPve been thinking about all day long. My white shirts have some serious issues in the armpit area - they aren`t too white. Elder Smith blamed it on the anti-perspirant deoderant - citing that his pits are sparkling clean because of what he uses. I shall be attacking them with bleach tonight, I think.

Last week we shopped at this store called Gyoumu super, which is kind of like the closest thing you get to sam`s club in Japan. We bought this big bottle of "Spicey Chili Sauce for Chicken" which comes from Thailand. It is the most increadible sauce in the entire world except for maybe alfredo sauce. I think I could probably drink it. Maybe I have tried to drink it by the time you read this.

Last night we were talking a little about what a theme could be for the zone this transfer. Elder Smith suggested "The Come Back Kid" like Billy the Kid or something - with a western theme. I liked it a lot, I`ll try to get Sister Sasaki, our resident artist, to try and draw the zone as cowboys - about two months ago she drew us all as soccer players for our theme back then, "Winning Eleven."

A couple of other things we planned this last week are some giant family home evenings at the church (one might actually be when Dad comes over here, so he could meet everyone), and then a musical fireside. We`re still bouncing around ideas for the fireside, but I might be plaing over the rainbow on my saxamaphone. Such a beautiful song.

Last transfers scripture that I choose for myself was Proverbs 24:10 - "If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small." Today I found the focus for the rest of my mission, also in Proverbs. 27:1 "...thou knowest not what a day may bring forth" I like that thought a lot - the power in one day. "Today could be the best day of your mission," as President Stevenson said. Focusing on today and now, and leaving the morrow to later. As important as the destination is, the journey is most of the adventure.

I am happy here in this peaceful land. I feel at home. Indeed, I could see my self here until I die. I would love to be buried with a little bit of Japanese soil - and their tomb-stones are a thousand times cooler than American ones. What a joy it`s been to serve in the vineyard - and as the work continues, only more miracles await.

I send my love and offer my prayers in your behalf. Thank you for yours as well. May you have the Spirit of peace,

Always,

Elder Alexander Todd Fuller
Japan Nagoya Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home