Alex Fuller's Mission to Japan

Alex at MTC From June 2006 to June 2008, Alex is serving
a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in the Japan Tokyo
South and Japan Nagoya Missions.
(click pic to enlarge)

Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Windows Of Heaven Are Opened

The good times roll on here in Suzuka. Heliane Kubota and her two daughters Nicoli and Hilari were all baptized and confirmed within the last couple weeks. They moved to Japan from Sao Paulo, Brazil about 15 years ago, so they can speak Japanese pretty well, but still Elder Caro speaks Portuguese with them. Sister Heliane especially is a great example of faith. Her biggest sacrifice in being baptized was giving up Coffee. She used to drink five cups a day at work to keep her going. However, she decided that it really wasn’t a huge sacrifice - compared with the blessings that come - and so she told all her friends she was stopping. This past week, she lost 2 kilos, and has more energy than ever - or so she tells me. Blessings have been poured out upon this small family as they make the sacred first covenant with God.

So sometimes I feel a little like a new missionary - not understanding anything being said. Okay- I understood more as a new missionary, to be honest. It’s kind of been a weird feeling - being surrounded by Spanish and Portuguese. I have come to love Japanese so much, and actually enjoy studying it now. I took my problems to the Lord in prayer. I’m in Japan - and though I can communicate pretty well - I still would benefit greatly from continuing to study Japanese. I asked the Lord what I should do. The answer came in the form of a scripture the next morning - 1 Cor. 14:19. The whole chapter deals with the gift of prophesy and the gift of tongues. 19 reads, "Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.” Basically, it doesn’t how much Japanese or English I can speak, if my investigators don’t understand it, it doesn’t matter. Just a five word testimony is of more worth than ten thousand words of the most moving lesson in an unknown language. So, I’ve made the determination to try and learn some Portuguese - at least enough to help a little in teaching. I feel confident that the Lord will assist me.

Lots of other good things happened this past week, including a very nice Zone Conference in Nagoya. We talked about "teaching as one" both in unity with our companions, and also teaching as The One - with examples and simple stories to illustrate gospel truths.

Everything is going well. Answers to prayers come - but so, so much patients is needed sometimes. I think maybe one of life`s biggest purposes is to develop our patient. God has so much of it - and we have to develop that somehow or other. Having that peace through the entire journey though - that makes it an adventure.

I love you all. Happy Easter! Definitely not even mentioned at church or anywhere else- but oh well, just a little different culture here. I made sure to do an Easter lesson for Gospel Principals. We read Chapter 20 of St. John. What interests me so much is that in that chapter, three people go from not believing to believing. Thomas believed after feeling Christ’s wounds. Mary believed after hearing her name, and John believed when seeing the empty tomb. Although we are more blessed to not see Christ and believe, I also don’t think he wants us to believe blindly. Indeed, the scriptures are written, "that [we] might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing [we] might have life through his name." (John 20:31) That through reading or seeing evidences, as John saw the empty tomb; we can receive that witness from the Spirit and know - through revelation.

The tomb is still empty today. What does that mean to us?

I am grateful for the resurrection - the crowning event of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I am grateful to share the message of hope with all - regardless of nationality or language. I am grateful to have all of you - remembering and using your teachings and examples. May we have His Spirit to be with us.

Always,

Elder Alexander Todd Fuller
Japan Nagoya Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home