Alex Fuller's Mission to Japan

Alex at MTC From June 2006 to June 2008, Alex is serving
a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in the Japan Tokyo
South and Japan Nagoya Missions.
(click pic to enlarge)

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Julio

Well this week was all about Julio Tashiro - a very nice Brazillian man, mid thirties, who has been meeting with the missionaries for the last year or so. Tuesday night, Elder Caro and I were walking towards his apartment, talking. For the month of march, the Japan Nagoya mission had a goal of seeing twenty baptisms. We had gotten to sixteen, and this final week we needed four. Throughout the mission, we`ve been praying for this goal to come to pass and have all been working hard to exercise faith in preparing people. Those who had dates scheduled for this past weekend however, were looking a little shaky.

So, we decided to challenge Julio to be baptized this (past) weekend. After a long and Spirit filled lesson, he agreed to be baptized on Saturday night. All week long we worked with him, and then had his baptismal service Saturday night. I played my saxophone - two hymns, "Joseph Smith`s First Prayer" and "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" It went well. Heliani, who was batized two weeks ago, gave a talk at Julio`s baptism that was very good (or at least what Elder Caro translated in Japanese was good - I still don`t know any Portugese). He then was confirmed and recieved the gift of the Holy Ghost by the layig on of hands yesterday (Sunday). 

I have come to love Julio so much - he is like a brother indeed.

Two boys in Kanazawa that I started teaching a few months ago also got baptized yesterday, and with a couple other baptisms, our mission was able to see 21 miracles this past month. We are being abundatly blessed.

Lately I have been thinking a great deal about the Sermon on the Mount. I have desires to memorize it - we`ll see if it comes to pass or not. A talk I heard this past week talked about how the Sermon on the Mount has many temple relations - which makes it worth pondering more and more.

Today, the Zone heads to Yokkaichi to play some soccer - it should be pretty fun. Also, today is the 31st, to baskin Robin`s ice cream is 31 percent off. Normally it is WAY to expensive, but here`s our chance to indulge :)

Last friday, we had an excellent zone training meeting - talking about 1 Cor. 9:26-27. The English translation is pretty lousy - but the Japanese is pretty good. To translate from the Japanese, it would read something like: "I do not run without clearly defined goals. I do not box as one punching the air. However, I submit myself as if being punched - for fear that if I did not so, I may be disqualified to teach others." We talked about not "punching the air" but make every effort count. Sometimes, when we go around housing for hours, we can sometimes lose hope and enthusiasm. Doing anything a lot takes away the enthusiasm. But if we make it count, and put our heart in it, then we can win. Nevertheless, sumbitting ourselves is also vital.

Good things are happening. I am so grateful to be a missionary. It is always an adventure, that`s for sure. I love you all very much. May you feel His Spirit,

Always,

Elder Alexander Todd Fuller
Japan Nagoya Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home