Alex Fuller's Mission to Japan

Alex at MTC From June 2006 to June 2008, Alex is serving
a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in the Japan Tokyo
South and Japan Nagoya Missions.
(click pic to enlarge)

Monday, May 19, 2008

Rising Sun

There`s a fun thing to do when one rides the train - look for the two-second snap. So when we stop at a train station to get on - the everyone boards, and then you can count to your self "One...two.." and bam - the cell phone is flipped open. Everyone does it- checking to see if anyone has maybe tried to call between when they were waiting for the train, and then walked five feet onto the train.

I`m sure I would do it too if I had a cell phone - but it`s pretty amusing.

We have been quite blessed this last week. Kentaro - our way good investigator, however, had gotten increadible busy and we haven`t been able to meet with him at all. People`s lives always get busier after they meet us- it`s almost strange how that happens. Nevertheless, we were blessed in other ways.

A lot of doorbells were rung, and a lot of people were talked to. The best was when we dicovered a medical college fairly close to our apartment - so we focused a big churck of time up there, finding some rather promising people.

Thursday was interviews with President Traveller - I alwyas love to be around him and just try to soak up everything he teaches. We talked about all kinds of stuff - I usually ask him more questions than he does me. He shared a couple experiences and gave me council in relation to service, finances, and leadership. He`s such a kind person - I`ll have to go drop by his home in Logan in a couple years when he returns home.

Last Monday was zone soccer day - and it was exceedingly fun. One would think that after riding bikes everyday for two years, that I would be in better shape...although, an hour and half of soccer could wipe off almost anyone, I guess. Everyone had a good time, and the Brazillians - even though they dominated - were also very fun to play with.

So Brazillians do not like the Argentina soccer team - they`re like fierce enemies. So, whenever I start talking with a Brazillian about soccer (one of their favorite subjects) I always suggest that Argentina is a pretty good team. THey all laugh, but then they get seriously and say "you`re joking, right?" Good times.

Elder Muniz and Elder Matias are ripping it up here in Suzuka with us. This saturday, four people are sceduled to get baptized, with three or four more that are very close - probably next month. That means all this week, Elder Smith and I will be pairing up with both of them and getting everyone ready for baptism. Of those getting baptized - two are a Brazillian couple, then an eleven year-old boy from Bolivia, and then another Brazillian lady who`s trying to bring her husband with her. It`s a fiesta down here.

This last Tuesday, I had to go to Nagoya and back for a stake meeting. I figured I`d read up a little on Elijah in the old testament, starting in the end of 1 Kings. Since the train was pretty long, I just kept reading into 2 Kings for quite a bit. It was so interesting - it`s been a while since I`ve read those stories. One place really hit me as personal: 2 Kings 8:11-12

Hazael, servant of the king of Syria comes to ask Elisha, the prophet at that time, a question. After answering, " 11And [Elisha] settled his countenance stedfastly, until [Hazael] was ashamed: and the man of God wept.
12 And Hazael said, Why weepeth my lord? And he answered, Because I know the evil that thou wilt do unto the children of Israel: their strong holds wilt thou set on fire, and their young men wilt thou slay with the sword, and wilt dash their children, and rip up their women with child. "
What an interesting thought. Elisha has the spirit of revelation - is most likely a Seer - and thus can see the sadness that will take place. I think a lot of prophets wept because of the knowledge they recieved. I think our Heavenly Father weeps as he watches the sadness we expereince. I don`t think there will ever not be sadness - though when we obtain our eternal felicity - it will be of a different nature. Certainly there is joy that will and does surpass all the pain - when we walk towards the day of reunion with our Savior and Father - but along that way, if we sometimes, like Nephi, wet our pillow at night - we stand in leagues with others, like Elisha.

I am so very grateful for the Savior, who will wipe away our tears. He`ll wipe away our sins and mistakes as well. I am so excited to tell more and more people about him - and help them walk themselves towards him.

Life is an increadible adventure.

I love you all so much,

yours,

Elder Alexander Todd Fuller
Japan Nagoya Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home