Alex Fuller's Mission to Japan

Alex at MTC From June 2006 to June 2008, Alex is serving
a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in the Japan Tokyo
South and Japan Nagoya Missions.
(click pic to enlarge)

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thankfulness - Wakana and Roberto

Well this week has been cold and incredible - one of the best Thanksgivings ever. It snowed and stuck to the ground for a white Thanksgiving morning. The assistants were over with us that night on exchanges and they flipped out over the snow. I guess I’m almost used to it, being in the coldest part of the mission for some time now. I love Nagano, it’s so pretty.

So yeah, the assistants came over with us for a day and it was inspiring. I worked with Elder Shuto, who is from Yokohama. Having fluent Japanese makes talking to people so, so very different. However, in the end, it doesn’t matter how well you teach someone - it all depends on the Spirit. But yeah, he taught me a few good phrases and we taught a way good lesson that night before our English Class.

So Thursday, the entire zone (all 10 of us) went up to the city of Nagano to celebrate Thanksgiving together. Elder Golladay and I gave a little bit of training on working with members from the new PMG DVDs that are out (and I’m the only missionary in the mission that has them - yes!) which went very well. Then, we threw on some other clothes and had a Turkey Bowl. It was probably the most fun game of football I’ve eve played - just because how kind everyone was. The best play however, was one where I lateralled the ball, and Sister Fullmer did a Cartwheel to distract everyone - worked perfectly.

We then came back and had a glorious feast. Chicken, Mashed potatoes and gravy, and homemade rolls. We went around and shared what we were thankful for and a warm spirit was enjoyed by all. A great day.

So that night Elder Golladay, a really good member named Brother Seki, and I went over to Wakana`s house to talk about baptism. I challenged her and she said she isn’t ready. She did say she would get baptized in like six years...but I won’t be here anymore. Actually we did have a very spiritual lesson, and the Sister missionaries also talked to her the next day and she’s looking good. There are probably a couple concerns we don’t know about, but as we work with her, maybe she can get baptized a little sooner. She is just so good - reading and believing and praying. Lots of faith.

Well in order to meet our goal of a baptism by the end of the year - I thought wakana would be our only shot. However, Friday night we visited a part-member family. The wife is named Sariah - she’s from Peru. She’s 20, and married to a Brazilian named Roberto who is 22. Roberto has heard the lessons and met the missionaries lots of time - but he only speaks Portuguese so it makes it a little hard for normal missionaries to teach him. Well, my companion happens to not be normal - and since his mom is Brazilian, he can speak Portuguese too.

So we visited them and gave a lesson on temples. I asked - "what sacrifice would you be willing to make in order to live with your family forever." He replied, "Anything." Elder Golladay then challenged him to be baptized for Christ’s birthday. His date is December 23. The Spirit was strong in the little apartment. Roberto is such a nice guy and very, very ready. That lesson was an answer to many prayers and fasting.

We have actually been teaching a TON of Brazilians lately. I am very grateful for my French experience, because I am actually able to follow what they say fairly well - kind of. I feel like a new missionary all over again - just sitting there, listening, and having my companion translate for me. Its fun - and they feed us some amazing food!

I am so thankful for so many things. I am thankful for my bicycle, which has carried me over 7000 kilometers. I am thankful for the trains here, which make traveling to zone conferences rather easy. I am thankful for friends and people we meet who open their hearts and homes to us. Most of all, I am thankful for the teaching of Jesus Christ - which have changed me and made me happier.

I am thankful for you as well,

Yours,

Elder Alexander Todd Fuller
Japan Nagoya Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home