Alex Fuller's Mission to Japan

Alex at MTC From June 2006 to June 2008, Alex is serving
a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in the Japan Tokyo
South and Japan Nagoya Missions.
(click pic to enlarge)

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Good Week - Lots of Love

Hello everyone from where it`s nice, sunny, and very Japanese!

Things are going well and we`re continuing to see some great things. Our good, progressing investigator, Yoshimi, is doing very well. We taught him about the plan of salvation this last Friday and it went really well. He had lots of questions and with the help of a very good member, we were able to answer them. When we started talking about our pre-earth life – he was shocked that we knew where we were. Buddhism believes rather strongly in a “zensei” or before-life. Thus, it is very easy to explain that they are right, we did exist before we came here – eternally in fact – but that instead of having lots of different bodies, we only have one. After the lesson, he said that he thought it was true. He still needs some time to accept and then act on our message, but my hope is very high.

We talked to lots of people this week – almost double the numbers I had last transfer. Elder Drake and I have really been feeling the tired settle in at the end of the day. Leaving the apartment at 10:30, and knocking houses straight until 8:30 or so has led us to almost fall asleep as we walk in the door. Nevertheless, the Lord is with us. It is the Spirit that rejuvinates and regenerrates the body – and I have certainly felt that waking up the next morning.

This last Tuesday, we got on a train at 8:40, rode for three hours to get to the Mission home in Nagoya, where we had a meeting with Elder Uchtdorf of the Quorum of the Twelve. His talk was fantastic and inspiring. He talked about the sun and how we should use its symbolism each day. As we come home, let all the worry and mistakes of the day set with the sun. There`s nothing we can do but repent and do better. Then, the next morning, let the sun rise and us too, rise to new heights and do our very best for another day.

He talked about repentance and hope. He tlaked about the joy of diligent labor and the truthfulness of our message. He talked about leaving to come to Japan. As he walked towards his car, President Hinkley called out, “Hey Dieter, where are you going?” Elder Uchtdorf then said to us, `it`s President Hinkley, that`s how he talks to me,` replying to Pres Hinkley he said, “Japan.” Then President Hinkley said, “Oh I wish I could go with you. I love those people so much. Send my love to everyone you talk with.” There are stories from about twenty years ago that Pres. Hinkley – then Elder Hinkley, would come and sit on the tatami mats and there kneeling, talk with missionaries and members in Japan.

Elder Uchtdorf, concluded his talk with a powerful testomony. Just as he closed, I felt the Spirit enter into my heart and it witnessed, yet again, that what he was saying – the great message we are sharing – is true. He then, with his wife, shook everyone`s hand. I think it was when the ten or so Japanese Sister Missionaries came up, and in there much practiced English said, “thank you,” that Elder Uchtdorf started to cry. It was a most profound experience I will never forget. The Spirit in love that came upon that room was indescribable. It is that Spirit of love I want all to feel – that I am laboring as best I know how, for other to feel.

And so, as it always does and always will, the work rolls forth. House by house, lesson by lesson, heart to heart, we`ll bring the world His truth. It has been a long, hot, hard week. But I think it`s been a blessing. Without the trials, you and I really can`t understand the blessings. The more bitter the meal, the sweeter the dessert. Sometimes I think that a mission is in a large part simply a big long list of trials that I go through in hopes of being sanctified. However, it is more. Again this week, I read Alma 26:27 and felt that promise to be true. This is how I read it - Now when my hearts is depressed, and I am about to turn back, behold, the Lord will comfort me, and say: Go amongst thy brethren, the Japanese, and bear with patience thy afflictions, and I will give unto you success. I know this is a true promise. Saving souls is the hardest work there is – but it is also the most rewarding. I know the Book of Mormon is a true and factual book. It`s promises are true and it speaks of the true and living God. He will help me, and that means helping me grow too.

Please remember me in your prayers – or rather those around me who are prepared to receive the restored gospel, that their hearts will be softened and be open to receive it. Thank for your love and support from home.

Always,

Elder Alexander Todd Fuller
Japan Nagoya Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

1 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home