Alex Fuller's Mission to Japan

Alex at MTC From June 2006 to June 2008, Alex is serving
a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in the Japan Tokyo
South and Japan Nagoya Missions.
(click pic to enlarge)

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Week Two In Komatsu

Konnichiwa,

Literally translated, konnichiwa means "this day" but I`m not sure why that means hello. Maybe it`s like `g`day to you` or something. This crazy language is so much fun. I watched a movie, the restortion, in portugese the other day. I`ve seen in lots of times in Japanese, but I think I understood it better in Portugese. Go figure...

On April 14, 2007, Satake Hiromitsu (Satake is the family name, they switch names around here) was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. What a miracle it was to find and teach him the gospel of Jesus Christ. I look forward to seeing him again either next year, or in Heaven (if I make it, hopefully). Nevertheless, he is on his way home.

The week here has been a lot of work. House after house and rain after rain. We`ve taught some pretty nice people, but in general everyone is just too busy. No worries though, we`ll find those who have time.

We started a new thing at our English class this week - Family Home Evening!! Our English class goes from 7-8:30 and then from 8:40 to about 8:55 we have a little fun/spiritual message all in Japanese. I got to do the first one. What did I pick? Dory and Job!

Okay, so I really like the Disney movie FInding Nemo, especially Dory. I recently bought a sticker book that was in Chinese (what? why?) which has good pictures of all the characters. I copied and laminated pictures of dory about the size of a credit card that you can keep in your wallet. I passed out these to everyone who came (which was actually all the students, yeah!) and explained about Dory. In English, her motto is "Just keep swimming!" In the typhoon season, I`ve found that motto to be quite applicable. I like it though. In the Japanese version, she says "Oyogimashoo" which just means "let`s swim!" Yeah...not a very good translation. However, with the help of a member, I got a good translation, "oyogi tsudzukeru no yo!" Which means "Keep Swimming!" Except it`s very, very feminine. Everyone really liked the message, especially as I brought it into realtion with the gospel.

I read Job 23:8-10 and explained about trials. So many times, we look all around and just see water. Empty water. At least for me, I feel quite alone sometimes. However, if we persevere like Job and just keep swimming like Dory, we shall one day be perfected as gold. I have found this so applicable in my life, and thouroughly enjoyed sharing it with my dear friends.

I think that is when I am the most happy here -- when I have the opportunity to share something with others that really has helped me in my life. It`s sad that people are too busy, but it`s not discouraging anymore. We have fun. We are always in high spirits. And the Lord has never left me comfortless.

I want everyone to know that I love them. Thank you for your love and support as well. May God bless you.

Always,

Elder Alexander Todd Fuller
Japan Nagoya Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home