Alex Fuller's Mission to Japan

Alex at MTC From June 2006 to June 2008, Alex is serving
a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in the Japan Tokyo
South and Japan Nagoya Missions.
(click pic to enlarge)

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Zone Conference in Nagoya

So my area, Suwa, is a pretty small place. Actually, all my areas so far have been pretty small. Suwa is part of the Nagano zone - which has five area is all - four of which missionaries are working. Thus, I am one of eight missionaries in the Nagano zone - preety small. Because we are so far away from everyone else, and since we`re a small group, we combine with the Nagoya zones for our zone conference every month and a half - travelling about 150 kilometers (I think that`s 100 miles, but I forget miles) via train to Nagoya to the mission headquarters.

Well, it was great to be back in a big city again. There`s just some feeling one gets when hundreds and thousands of people are scurrying about going to and from their jobs and homes. I like it very much. We got to know our new mission president and his wife - the Travellers - from Cash valley Utah. We talked about changes - had some fun activities - ate some great food - and had a short testimony meeting. It was a great experience. It was like climbing a mountain - I`m back down at the bottom again, but having been to the top, I can remember the view and have it carry me forward.

Yesterday at church I sang and gave a talk. Yeah, I really can`t sing, but I figure if only 35 people are there - I won`t offend too many people. Actually it went quite well. Elder Brough played the piano for "Did you think to pray?" from the arrangement of Rob Gardner`s "Missionary Hymn Project." That`s a fantastic CD, I recommend it. But yeah, the song went well - I hit the high notes too - and my talk was fine as well. The topic was family history. i am quite glad I wrote my mom and asked a little about my family.

I talked about one of my great-great grandmothers who at age six, walked across the entire plains to Utah. I still can`t imagine such a thing at age six. I also talked about another great-great grandmother who lived in England. At age 19, she had a dream of two men and a book. Well, a bit later she met two missionaries, carrying a Book of Mormon. I am so thankful for the strength and courage my ancestors showed.

And so here in Japan as well, people are embracing the gospel of Jesus Christ and laying the foundation for generations to come. The members here are generally first-generation, and sometimes second. The rare third-generations are so strong in the faith. If ever there was a place where people live in the world, but not of the world, it is the faithful members we serve here in Japan - as well as many other places I`m sure.

I`ve been so blessed this week - no crashed, so major storms, no major sickness (well, my companion is just learning how to cook), and no major dissappointments. Satan is always there - but so is the Spirit which gives us strength.

I hope you too may feel His love through the Spirit. Have a fantastic week.

Always,

Elder Alexander Todd Fuller
Japan Nagoya Mission
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home